Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Fundraising Events Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Wayside Waifs?
- Why should I create a Wayside campaign?
- Which type of campaign page should I create?
- What do I need to do to create my campaign page?
- How should I begin building my campaign?
- What should I put on my campaign page?
- How do I add a photo to my page?
- How do I add more content to my page?
- How can I add more photos?
- I just finished creating my page. Now what do I do?
- How do I edit my page?
- How do I edit my fund name and/or description?
- Why doesn't my page show up when my friends and I search for it?
- How do I make my Wayside page private?
- How do I personalize my web address URL?
- How do I invite friends to join?
- Where does the money I raise through my Wayside campaign page go?
- How do I raise funds for Wayside using my page?
- How do I invite friends to make a gift?
- How do I update my fundraising goal?
- What are some ways I can raise more funds using my page?
- How do I find out who donated to my campaign?
- How do I make a gift to someone's campaign?
- How do I save/add email addresses?
- I can't remember my user name/password.
- How do I delete or deactivate my campaign page?
- I had a campaign page for one type and now I want to do a different campaign.
What is Wayside Waifs?
Wayside Waifs is Kansas City's largest and most comprehensive no kill pet adoption campus. Since 1944, we have been working diligently to partner pets and community for life. Wayside Waifs strives to enrich the lives of abandoned, abused and homeless animals until they find a new family and a place to call home. During their termporary stay on our 50 acre campus, every animal receives a complete circle of care.
Over the past seven decades, Wayside has evolved into an organization that provides more than just the basic needs to our animals. Wayside Waifs plays an substantial role in positively influencing the community for both animals and people by offering innovative education to the public that expands beyond a traditional animal shelter. Services include:
- humane education programs that reach more than 14,000 children in the metropolitan area
- pet adoption,
- animal rescue,
- behavior enrichment and medical care for shelter animals,
- foster care,
- volunteer opportunities,
- partnerships with more than 30 regional and national animal welfare organizations,
- off-leash dog park,
- pet memorial services and cemetery.
Why should I create a Wayside Waifs campaign?
- To celebrate your birthday, wedding, anniversary, bat/bar mitzvahs or other special occasion in your life.
- To honor that special someone or animal in your life with a gift to a life-saving cause.
- To make a difference with your upcoming run, walk or sporting event.
- Tell your story and support the animals at Wayside Waifs.
- To raise funds to help provide life-saving medical care, nutritious food, safe shelter and love to animals desperate for a second chance in life.
Which type of campaign should I create?
- Community Event - garage sale, lemonade stand, class or organization project
- Special event - wedding, bar mitzvahs, anniversaries
- Sporting event - running a race, participating in a golf tournament or swim competition
What do I need to create my campaign?
- A valid email address and a physical address to register.
- Content you wish to include on your page (a short story or reason you want to support the animals at Wayside Waifs).
- A photo or video you would like to include (we do have default images that will appear if you don't have an image at the time of registration).
How should I begin building my campaign?
Click on the "get started" button of the type of campaign you want to create. You can then follow the easy, step-by-step instructions to register and create your page.
What should I put on my campaign page?
This is your page so be creative! Your page features a text section, a profile photo or video, social commenting feed, social media sharing, fundraising honor roll and a fundraising thermometer.
Here are some suggestions for the text section:
- Highlight your pet and explain why they are important to you
- Dedicate your page to someone special and talk about why they are important to you
- Honor the memory of a pet or someone special
- Use your page to celebrate your birthday, wedding, anniversary, bar/bat mitzvahs or other special celebration in your life.
- Participating in a sporting event? Walk/run or soccer? These are perfect for a campaign!
How do I add a photo to my page?
Make sure your photo is one of these file types: .gif, .jpeg or .png. Crop and resize the image to 300 X 300 pixels. Make sure the photo is no larger than 1.5Mb.
How do I add more content to my page?
During the creation of your page you will be able to add text and one photo for the main page. Once you have your page created, you can log into the Participant Center and follow the steps in the Personal Page (or team page) to add/edit content and photos.
How can I add more photos?
Your campaign page can display two photos and one video. To update these, to to your Participant Center and update your personal page.
I just finished creating my page. Now what do I do?
Great! Now you have finished your page the FUNdraising begins! Start by going to your Participant Center and sending a message to y our family, friends and coworkers inviting them to visit your personal Wayside campaign page. They can make a gift, learn more about Wayside Waifs and leave comments!
How do I edit my page?
You can edit your page by going to the Participant Center and accessing the tools to change/edit and update your page in the Personal Page section (or team page). Be sure to save any changes before moving on.
How do I make my campaign page private?
In your Participant Center, select "Page Settings" in the Personal Page section and check the "Private" button.
How do I personalize my web address URL?
In your Participant Center, select "Page Settings" in the Personal Page section and fill in the URL provided. Your web address can only contain letters, numbers, periods, dashes and underscore symbols.
How do I invite friends to join?
Login to your Participant Center and click on email at the top section of the page. You will be taken to the suggested messages page. Here you can select a standard message or create your own special message.
Where does the money I raise through my Wayside campaign go?
100% of the money raised through your campaign goes directly to the care of homeless companion animals at Wayside Waifs. For more than 71 years, Wayside has been a leader in animal welfare in our region. We care for more than 6,000 animals each year at our beautiful, no kill pet adoption campus in Kansas City. Funds generated also support humane education programs that Wayside Waifs offers to school age children throughout the entire metropolitan area. This includes our benchmark No More Bullying!® program, which utilizes animals to teach humane behavior to young children. Your gifts also support our FEMA certified nationally recognized Animal Rescue & Response Team.
How do I raise funds for Wayside using my page?
Your Wayside Campaign page has a donation button making it easy for your friends, family and coworkers to make a gift.
Once you have registered, set up your page and set a fundraising goal, you will automatically receive an email that you can forward to your friends. In addition, you can visit your Participation Center, click on "Email" at the top of the page and choose either a standard message or create your own special email. When people visit your page, they will be able to click on the donate button and make a gift of any amount through a secure online form. Once their donation processes, it will appear on your thermometer and count towards your fundraising goal.
What are some ways I can raise more money using my page?
Check out our Fundraising Tips page for some great ideas to help you meet your fundraising goal!
Can I find out who donated to my campaign?
Login to your Participant Center and click on the "Progress" section at the top of the page. This will show you a list of donors and their donation amounts.
How do I make a gift/donation to someone's page?
Click on the Donate button at the top of the page in the main navigation bar. You can search for participants or events and make gifts to support their efforts.
How do I save/add email addresses?
Go to your Participant Center and login. Click on "Add contacts" at the top of the page. You will be taken to your address book. Here you can look/manage and update your friends email addresses from your different email accounts.
I can't remember by password/user name.
Don't chase your tail! We can help! Simply go to the login page and scroll down to "Email My User name/Password" box. Enter your email address and we will email your account login information to that address.